Barrister, Advocacy, Representation
Do you need a barrister to advise about a legal problem or someone to represent you in Court, before a Tribunal or professional regulatory hearing or as a mediation advocate representing your interests at a mediation?
I help businesses and professionals resolve their legal problems.
Combining my previous experience of being a successful business owner with legal knowledge, skill and experience enables me to provide holistic and pragmatic advice. I strive for consensus, and consensual dispute resolution but make robust and grounded decisions when consensus is beyond reach.
Commercial and Technology Background
Prior to qualifying in law, I was a money market trader in the City of London before setting up, growing and successfully selling three technology start-up businesses. For over 13 years I was an equity holding director of one of the UK’s leading online price comparison sites.
Examples of how I have helped my clients include helping a business and its supplier resolve a long-standing dispute so successfully that they entered into a new two year supplier contract, a technology business resolve its professional negligence claim with its accountants, a senior account director at a recruitment firm settle their unfair dismissal claim, two business partners settle a four year shareholder dispute, a solicitor settle a claim by a medico legal report writing supplier.
My clients appreciate my focus on problem solving and finding solutions to legal issues and disputes. I am at my best at times when clients are facing crisis or radical change where they benefit from my strategic and analytical focus and calm approach.
I can help with everything small or medium sized businesses and professionals need:
- General commercial
- Shareholder, director and board disputes
- Technology, online and disruption
Professional Regulation, Conduct and Discipline
I have represented professionals and regulators from a wide span of specialisms including accountants, surveyors, education and health care.
I have acted for clients facing a wide span of conduct allegations including sexual misconduct, dishonesty, clinical and language competency before tribunals of first instance, appeals and at the High Court.
I have over 13 years’ experience having chaired, sat on or case presented fitness to practice hearings for regulators including the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, Construction Industry Council, Nursing and Midwifery Council, Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (General Medical Council) and others. I am a member of the Association for Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers.
I have been chair of the board of an educational establishment and a non-exec and audit chair of a large NHS organisation that commissions over £500 million of healthcare services for over 369,000 patients.
I run the regulatory community resource website www.fitnesstopractise.net and have produced a professional regulatory ‘Periodic Table’. I have delivered board and panel training to a number of leading regulators and regulated commercial organisations in the UK and abroad and has re-written of a number of codes of conduct including for statutory regimes requiring approval by the relevant Secretary of State.
I am available to advise or represent registrants, act as case presenter or legal assessor in respect of any of the following:
- Response to investigations
- Interim orders hearings
- Substantive misconduct, conviction and health cases
- Substantive order reviews
- Registration appeals
- Appeals against panel findings
Professional and Academic Qualifications
- Masters in Law (LLM) – International and Comparative Dispute Resolution
- Accredited Investigator – Employment and workplace investigations
- Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC – Post Graduate Barrister Training)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB/GDL)
- Accredited Mediator – Civil and Commercial, Family – ADR Group.
- BA (Hons) / Diplome de Commerce
- Professional Regulatory Fitness to Practise Tribunal Chair/Member
- Accredited Civil and Commercial and Workplace Mediator and Mediation Advocate
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Arbitrator – ADR Group
- Ombudsman – Financial Ombudsman Service
- Associate – Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR).
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Civil Mediation Council
- Honourable Society of Lincolns Inn
- Board Member Arbitration Club – Technology Branch
- Society of Computers and Law
- Chartered IT Professional of British Computer Society
- Association of Regulatory Lawyers
- Chair of the Board – Barnfield College.
- Non-exec Board Member for Governance and Conflicts of Interest and Chair of Audit Committee – Barnet Clinical Commissioning Group.
- Independent Member – Chartered Banker Professional Standards Board.
Areas of expertise
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Professional Conduct and Discipline
- Advocacy and Representation
- Employment and Disciplinary
- Business Strategy & Crisis Management
- Family Business Dispute Resolution