Robin Somerville LLM, Barrister, FCIArb
I am a barrister, mediator and investigator with a difference. I have a markedly different background to other lawyers. Prior to qualifying in law I was a money market trader in the City of London before I set up, grew and successfully sold three technology start-ups over fifteen years. As well as practising law, I have been Chair or a non-exec director of a number of others. For over 13 years I was an equity holding director of the UK’s leading online price comparison sites.
My background has given me particular expertise in insolvency, general commercial, technology, professional and general regulation, employment, road traffic and aviation. I assist by advising and representing parties, helping them settle their differences consensually or by deciding the outcome for them. As a barrister, arbitrator, mediator, ombudsman, investigator, regulatory panel chair and tribunal panel member of various kinds I have been involved in over 1,000 cases spanning more than 16 years.
My inclusive professional style focuses on problem solving, finding solutions to issues and disputes by consensus wherever possible to avoid court based determination unless no practical alternative remains to enforce parties’ rights.
I am at my most useful when clients are experiencing times of crisis and change where they benefit from my judgement, strategic and analytical focus and calm approach.
Areas of expertise
Robin is able to assist clients in the following key areas:
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Professional Conduct and Discipline
- Advocacy and Representation
- Employment and Disciplinary
- Business Strategy & Crisis Management
- Family Business Dispute Resolution
- Robin completes ODR consultancy project for Mishcon de Reya
- Professor Richard Susskind comments on Robin’s competence
- appointed as Arbitrator and Mediator by WIPO – World Intellectual Property Organization
- appointed Trainer and Consultant at CEDR
- appointed Vice Chair of Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- appointed Non-Exec Board Director and Audit Chair of NHS Clinical Commission Group
- appointed Judge at the ICC International Commercial Mediation Competition – Paris
- Robin completes training for the Irish Medical Council and Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland
- re-writes the Code of Conduct for the Construction Industry Council
- appointed as Ombudsman for the Financial Ombudsman Service
- appointed Chair of Barnfield College Board
- appointed to British Computer Society’s Investigation Panel
- appointed as Panellist to the General Medical Council
- granted Chartered IT Professional status by British Computer Society
- appointed as Lay Member of RICS/IPA Joint Regulatory Receivers Scheme
- successfully assists Defendant settle his claim
- appointed as Lay Chair of UK Council for Psychotherapy
- successfully negotiates Compromise Agreement for NG of Milton Keynes
- admitted to Institute of Chartered Arbitrators
- appointed as a Panel Chair at the Nursing and Midwifery Council