Robin Somerville LLM, Barrister, FCIArb
I am a barrister, mediator and investigator with a difference. I have a markedly different background to other lawyers. Prior to qualifying in law I was a money market trader in the City of London before I set up, grew and successfully sold three technology start-ups over fifteen years. As well as practising law, I have been Chair or a non-exec director of a number of others. For over 13 years I was an equity holding director of the UK’s leading online price comparison sites.
My background has given me particular expertise in insolvency, general commercial, technology, professional and general regulation, employment, road traffic and aviation. I assist by advising and representing parties, helping them settle their differences consensually or by deciding the outcome for them. As a barrister, arbitrator, mediator, ombudsman, investigator, regulatory panel chair and tribunal panel member of various kinds I have been involved in over 1,000 cases spanning more than 16 years.
My inclusive professional style focuses on problem solving, finding solutions to issues and disputes by consensus wherever possible to avoid court based determination unless no practical alternative remains to enforce parties’ rights.
I am at my most useful when clients are experiencing times of crisis and change where they benefit from my judgement, strategic and analytical focus and calm approach.Read more
Areas of expertise
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Professional Conduct and Discipline
- Advocacy and Representation
- Employment and Disciplinary
- Business Strategy & Crisis Management
- Family Business Dispute Resolution
- Robin Appointed a Panel Chair of Nursing and Midwifery Council Fitness to Practise Panel
- Robin admitted as Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Robin successfully negotiates Compromise Agreement for NG of Milton Keynes
- Robin appointed as Lay Chair of UK Council for Psychotherapy
- Robin successfully assists Defendant settle his claim
- Robin appointed as Lay Member of RICS/IPA Fixed Charge Receivership Scheme