Resolving Legal Problems for Businesses, Business Owners and Professionals
Having previously been a successful business owner, and for the last 17 years involved with law, my unique commercial and legal experience enables me to provide holistic and pragmatic advice. I strive for consensus, and consensual dispute resolution but make robust and grounded decisions when consensus is beyond reach.
Business, Commercial and Technology
Prior to qualifying in law, I was a money market trader in the City of London before setting up, growing and successfully selling three technology start-up businesses. For over 13 years I was an equity holding director of one of the UK’s leading online price comparison websites.
Examples of how I have helped my clients include helping a business and its supplier resolve a long-standing dispute so successfully that they entered into a new two year supplier contract, a technology business resolve its professional negligence claim with its accountants, a senior account director at a recruitment firm settle their unfair dismissal claim, two business partners settle a four year shareholder dispute, a solicitor settle a claim by a medico legal report writing supplier.
My clients appreciate my focus on problem solving and finding solutions to legal issues and disputes. I am at my best at times when clients are facing crisis or radical change where they benefit from my strategic and analytical focus and calm approach.
My services include all of the following:
- General business and commercial law
- Shareholder, director and board disputes
- IT, Technology, online and disruption
Professional Regulation, Conduct and Discipline
I have represented professionals and regulators from a wide span of specialisms including senior executives and directors, accountants, solicitors, doctors, surveyors, education and health care.
My experience has included acting or investigating for organisations and clients facing a wide span of conduct allegations including sexual misconduct, dishonesty, clinical and language competency before tribunals of first instance, appeals and at the High Court.
With over 13 years’ experience, I have chaired, sat on or case presented fitness to practice hearings for regulators including the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, Construction Industry Council, Nursing and Midwifery Council, Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (General Medical Council) and others. I am a member of the Association for Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers. I have been chair of the board of an educational establishment and a non-exec and audit chair of a large NHS organisation that commissions over £500 million of healthcare services for over 369,000 patients.
I have delivered board and panel training to a number of leading regulators and regulated commercial organisations in the UK and abroad and has re-written of a number of codes of conduct including for statutory regimes requiring approval by the relevant Secretary of State.
I am available to investigate, advise on, or represent organisations or registrants, act as case presenter or legal assessor in respect of any of the following:
- Conduct or represent those involved with disciplinary, misconduct and grievance investigations
- Interim orders hearings
- Substantive misconduct, conviction and health cases
- Substantive order reviews
- Registration appeals
- Appeals against panel findings
- Professional, licensed access and direct/public access (lay) clients may contact me to obtain a quotation for legal services;
- My contact details can be found on my contact page;
- The majority of the time I quote fixed fees agreed in advance for work. Alternatively, I am able to agree hourly rates agreed at the outset;
- This website identifies the areas of practice in which I most commonly provide legal services;
- My availability and delivery timescales depend largely on my availability at any particular time due to existing professional and other commitments. I am usually able to identify and agree delivery timescales as part of agreeing a fixed fee.
- When delivering regulated legal work, you can complain to the Chambers from which I operate. Here is a link to the their page on how to complain.
- I am regulated by the Bar Standards Board;
- When providing regulated legal work, you may also complain to the Legal Ombudsman (LeO), who allow you to make a complaint online through their website. You first need to complain to myself or my chambers. If you are dissatisfied with my final response, you need to submit your complaint to LeO within six months of my final response;
- Here is a link to the decision data on the LeO’s website; and
- Here is a link to my entry on the Barristers’ Register page on the BSB’s website or you can search their database using my name by clicking here.
Professional and Academic Qualifications
- Masters in Law (LLM) – International and Comparative Dispute Resolution
- Accredited Investigator – Employment and workplace investigations
- Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC – Post Graduate Barrister Training)
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB/GDL)
- Accredited Mediator – Civil and Commercial, Family – ADR Group.
- BA (Hons) / Diplome de Commerce
- Professional Regulatory Fitness to Practise Tribunal Chair/Member
- Accredited Civil and Commercial and Workplace Mediator and Mediation Advocate
- Mediator and Arbitrator – World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Adjudicator – Society of Computers and Law
- Associate – Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR).
- Member – Civil Mediation Council
- Member – Honourable Society of Lincolns Inn
- Association of Regulatory Lawyers
- Ombudsman – Financial Ombudsman Service (previously)
- Chartered IT Professional of British Computer Society (previously)
- Chair of the Board – FE College (previously)
- Non-exec Board Member for Governance and Conflicts of Interest and Chair of Audit Committee – Barnet Clinical Commissioning Group (previously)
- Independent Member – Chartered Banker Professional Standards Board (previously)